4 de noviembre de 2010

I associate you only with the good

You are part of my existence, part of myself.
You have been in every line I have ever read.
You have been in every prospect I have ever seen 
 on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes,
in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness,
in the wind, in the woods, in the sea in the streets.
You have been the embodiment of every graceful
fancy that my mind has ever become accquainted with.
The stones of which the strongest London buildings
are made are not more real, or more impossible to be
displaced by your hands, than your presence and
influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be.
To the last hour of my life,
you cannot choose but remain part of my character,
part of the little good in me, part of the evil.
But in this separation, I associate you only with the good,
and I will faithfully hold you to that always,
for you must have done me far more good than harm.
Let me feel now what sharp distress I may

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario